Monday

Bisehoger


Bisehoger is a swiss-german word describing a hill facing the northeasterly wind blowing through the flatland between Jura and Alps.
The myth about this hill in the middle of no-where (paragliding-wise) is much larger than its dimensions: it seems almost ridiculous that the pilots here would even think about flying there. As I am used to the flats and know what potential lies in a tiny site facing N or NE, I was eager to explore this hill sooner or later.
This certainly was not a good day - something between fog and small raindrops had iced my windshield already on the way there, but I ignored it. Seeing the first wing almost in the clouds (no wonder, the cloudbase was only 50m above the hills) gave thrust to climb the steep woods and we approached the takeoff from the back.

take-off from behind (see the wing above?)

No sense in waiting forever - we set out and had fun! Even in these light conditions I could get a feeling for the potential of this site. I will be back!





...only too short, since the wind started degrading, and after about 45min I found myself starting to scratch the hillside, desperately hoping for stronger gusts, but without much luck.



In the end I decided to land. Close to ground I made one last turn away from the wind - and suddenly I found myself in stall: No sound, no speed, just vertical drop, fairly fast I must say, for the last 20 m.

No damage, but I looked at myself and the equipment: That measly rain I noticed on the way here had done the same to me - check the icing on that cake:




cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment