Friday

Boezingenberg - the local hangout for pilots around Biel


everytime I feel overconfident I just need to come the the closest site to Biel (CH), the Boezingenberg. The day after my wonderful flight at the Chaumont I went to the Boez, confident it would work since I saw some wings in the air - and yes, I took of, hooked my first chance and could stay there, struggling to stay up and would finally make a good 50m, just enough for my first top landing on the west takeoff. But as I started again I did not watch closely enough, missed two little bubbles and down I went - slowly but steadily. Once on the ground you ask yourself how you could miss all these options, especially when watching even students climb the week lift.
Then I tell myself it is time again for a reset - be humble and not depressed, accept the day and your weakness.

Since Hasle-Rueggsau the weather was unpleasant as can be in the area - grey, foggy, more snow, and so I was eager to take the first opportunity to get out again. And monday was the day! I leafed through the weather pages and decided against the Alps (will be better the next day) and for the Jura - looking out the window I saw Cumuli early on a bright blue sky. Took me a while to get started, but eventually I opted for the Boez with its easy retrieve possibilities.



Coming up to the restaurant it was time for pictures - this is one of the lowest points in the Jura chain where you can see almost 180 degree of the flats stretching south towards the Alps and today, what a sight!



Soon afterwards I headed for the east takeoff Since the forecast called for a bit of Bise. Arriving I was afraid not to be able to clear the takeoff; sometimes a small indication of thermal activity, but often a slow back wind. The nice clouds from this morning had given way to some smaller ones.
Well, gave myself a shove, the wing a pull and made it out with a little support from the sun factory. Flying out of the clearing I noticed how much the wind came from the east: no dynamic support today! Since this was the first time so far east, I struggled to stay up - the thermals were weak, the wind did not help but blow the thermals from littler clearings below me along side the ridge - a bumpidy ride without much gain in altitude, yet enough not to sink out. I tried going west without much luck, lost too much and turned again; I tried going east and was more rewarded, so I continued.



As I came closer to the end of the ridge I slowly climbed above and that is where I found the best lift of the day: Bise pushing over the back of the ridge joined the small thermals coming up the front of the ridge.
Yet I never really made base - it was already too late and I was getting tired of circling 50m above the plateau, keeping those landing options in the corner of my eyes, so finally I decided to go land and enjoy the comparatively warm afternoon!



Afterwards I thought: what a rewarding flight! It was a short distance but gave me so much pleasure - much more than the flight next day!

check here: http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/296103

No comments:

Post a Comment